But getting time to sew certainly isn’t! Not only have I developed a serious flower and vegetable garden addiction, but I feel beyond guilty staying inside on a gorgeous day with Liv.
That said, I have been working on a few little things here and there. I’ve started my project for the handmade exchange with this amazing Riley Blake Ombre Dots fabric mixed with some gorgeous vintage fabric I picked up at a yardsale recently ($1 a yard! It was insane!).
I also revamped some of my earlier finished projects. My old sewing machine didn’t always create the neatest and tightest hems that my new machine does (and I’ve gotten a little handier myself). I’ve started doing some of my own embellishments and using contrasting thread, double and triple stitches along hems, and having a little creative fun. I did a little of that for a dress I’d made early on in my etsy days, and added a pair of bloomers for the gal who purchased it. Turned out pretty cool!
Oh and I made this romper for a friend! The blue with white ruffles was designed for her, but the cupcake pattern will be up in my shop very soon!
Love & Rock friends!
I’ve recently discovered Miss Anna DePew from A Few Threads Loose has taken amazing vintage patterns and updated them, creating .pdf patterns from them. Since the patterns are past their copyright, any clothing made from one of these purchased (not copied – we must support people like Anna who make these amazing patterns available!) can be sold without violating copyrights!
So! That leads me to two things. The first is that if you peek at Anna’s blog, etsy shop, or facebook pages (here and here) you’ll get a little preview of what I have coming in the Punk Rock expansion!! Secondly, Anna is hosting a giveaway on her blog while she is here in the States. I’ve purchased four of her patterns and love them! Check out her blog for a chance to win one, and browse through all the cool things she has to offer!
So I’ve taken it upon myself to get creative for Liv’s birthday this year! I’ve been making fabric birthday banners and chosen a mermaid/under-the-sea theme… mostly so there is a color palate! I haven’t finished anything yet, but here’s a start!
This doesn’t have anything to do with the expansion I mentioned in my last post, but I did get up to my elbows in tulle and glittery stuff this past week!
I made a birthday outfit for the daughter of a twitter friend, which turned out to be incredibly fun! This included a rainbow tutu, bloomers with tulle ruffles, a birthday t-shirt, and a headband. This likely won’t be something I do regularly (except for making tutus, that was so much fun!!) but I enjoyed doing it just the same!
Lately I’ve been thinking about expanding PRPT. Not in the sense that I’ll have more time or resources available (ha!), moreso in finding a niche that is a little more focused and organized. So while I’ll still make all the toddler dresses, aprons, women’s clothes, and whatever else strikes my fancy (bookmarks, coasters, bloomers, oh my!) in my Punk Rock Pigtails store, I’ll be starting a new line of handmade creations! I’ll be creating a secondary store but keeping with the Punk Rock theme. This is still in the development phase so I won’t say too much just yet, but here is a little preview!
I am just not a natural blogger. Life gets in the way quite often! Typically in the way of an adorable *almost* three year old so I certainly can’t complain!
Anyhow, I have been working on a number of cool new things and ideas, including a toddler romper with ruffles, a gorgeous and simple woman’s pinafore dress, and potentially a new line (of delicates! Stay tuned…)!
Traci at Traci Talks Back Tagged me! This is my first time being tagged, so I’m pretty stoked!
Random picture of me…
- I like to indulge on good coffee and good beer.
- I’m secretly really really excited that the cartoon gods have remade My Little Ponies and Strawberry Shortcake, two of my toddlerhood favorites that my daughter now adores!
- Although we lead a pretty low-key and laid-back life, my husband and I always have one super crazy dramatic event happen each year. We call it our family curse!
- Although I always enjoyed crafts, I didn’t know how crafty I could be until I became a mom.
- Traci says she always wanted to be “A Mommy”, well I have a Dr. Seuss book you can write in from when I was about 3, which indicates I always wanted to be “A Bunny”.
- I have quite a few tattoos, and it drives me nuts when people ask what each one means. For the most part, they mean art.
- I had short, pixie-style hair from about 17 to 27. My hair is currently the longest it’s ever been in my adult life.
- I turned 30 this past year, and it is SO much better than 20!
- I love bananas but I hate banana flavoring.
- I love that skinny jeans are widely available and popular now, because I can finally wear flat shoes (Toms!!!) and not ruin the bottom of my pants, or trip in public.
- One of my goals is to be a better blogger. I’m currently really sporadic about it!
Eleven Questions & Answers
(courtesy of Traci at Traci Talks Back!)
- What is the first thing you do when you get up? go pee
- Are you where you wanted to be when you grew up?
- If there was a Lifetime Movie about your life who would they cast to play you?
- Morning person or Night Owl?
- Coke or Pepsi?
- Dogs or Cats?
- Exercise be you HAVE TO or because you actually LIKE TO?
- What song currently describes where you are in life?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- What is your absolute most favorite meal?? Home-cooked or restaurant, local or destination??
- What was your favorite tv show as a child?
My Eleven Questions for YOU!
- What is your favorite color?
- What kind of pets do you have, if any?
- Do you have any hobbies?
- What is your favorite brand of jeans?
- French Fries or Onion Rings?
- Do you speak any other languages?
- What was your favorite childhood show?
- Ocean or Mountains?
- What’s worse: going to the grocery store on a Saturday morning or waiting in traffic for 30 minutes?
- How similar is your life now to the way you’d imagined it would be 10 years ago?
- How different is it?
Jen @ Making A Home And A Family
I really enjoy handmade things, and I am always up for a craft swap with someone. I’m open to trades for other handmade items, which can be especially fun! Last year a status made its way around facebook, promising that the individual would make something handmade for the first five people who commented on said status and send it to them throughout the year. I made this my status, as well as commented on 3-4 other status to receive something back.
Every single person forgot. Including me. I was reminded sometime in December, and finally sent my handmade coasters and bookmarks out in January 2012. Although I was late, I had SO much fun putting these packages together, it was truly gratifying. Instead of using facebook this year, I thought I might have a wider reach (and, ahem, memory) if I invited people to link up on my blog.
This initial post is mostly to gauge interest, as well as gather some suggestions from others. Here are some of my thoughts:
-create something handmade to send to (currently unknown) number of people perhaps quarterly? I could set up reminders via email.
-if you also have a blog and would like to pose this swap to your followers, I will link all participating blogs in the next post, outlining and clarifying how we’ll make this thing work.
-to ensure this really is a “exchange”, the initial poster (in this case, me) sends something handmade to the first 5 people who comment on the post. The first commenter sends something to the 5 people below them, and so on. When there are only 4 comments below, that person sends something to those 4 people and to me. 3 comments below would send to those 3, me, and the first commenter.
-I will definitely post how that works out once the comments are gathered so there is no confusion!
-I’ll collect addresses and information via my email: firstname.lastname@example.org and distribute them via email as well, that way we aren’t putting our addresses on the internets.
Thoughts? Suggestions? Want to participate? Comment or send me an email!
I’m so stoked! xo!
In January 2011, I agreed to participate in “Craft-It-Forward”, where I would make something during the year and send it to anyone who commented on that specific facebook status. In January 2012 I remembered I had agreed to do this, so I got my craft on! I made a set of four fabric coasters, fabric bookmarks with vintage buttons, and a handmade card to go with each. I enjoyed making these so much, I will be listing some on etsy soon! As an aside, anyone interested in Craft-It-Forward 2012?? I might run it through my blog this year rather than facebook, and have it as a craft swap!
Hello friends. Been awhile, I know. After taking so stinkin’ long to finish the big lot of aprons I made for a website (details coming soon!!) I became totally overwhelmed with holidays and life, finding little time to set out for sewing.
But I’m back now! And with a newly listed set of retro style bloomers/diaper covers. These turned out so cute! This particular set includes six (6) bloomers for just $30, which is essentially like getting one for free. The size is 18-24 months, but the legs and waist are elastic so cute little booties will definitely get a lot of wear from these.
Please visit my Etsy Shop to check them out, and see what else I have to offer as well!
Happy New Year! xo!